ZIM Just Offered Israel Ten Concessions. Its Own Workers Said No.
Hapag-Lloyd and FIMI put a genuinely substantive package in front of Israel's government this week -- a new trade route, doubled reefer capacity, real labor protections. The same day, ZIM's own workers sent a letter rejecting it. Elsewhere: IMXI's spread nearly doubled with no specific trigger, a credible backup bidder has surfaced for BHF, and CZR cleared its shareholder vote right as the FTC opened a real antitrust review. Plus a rebuilt Risk/Reward Top 6.
67
Active Deals
1.18%
Median Spread
~$650B
Total Value
This Week’s Top Moves
$ZIM19.9%
Ten concessions in one letter. Rejected by the workforce on the same day.
Hapag-Lloyd's CEO flew to Israel, and with FIMI submitted what they're calling a "significantly improved framework" -- ten material changes, confirmed via Calcalist's full letter and six other sources. The real additions: a new weekly Far East route, doubled reefer capacity to protect Israel's food supply chain, revised FIMI governance giving the state approval rights over any relinquishment of control, and a specific labor package (a 10-year safety net, guaranteed no layoffs through 2027). Valuation is unchanged at $35.00/share. The complication: ZIM's own workers separately sent a letter to the government the same day reiterating their opposition. This is a real, substantive concession package -- but "buyers offer more" hasn't guaranteed "opposition drops" so far in this deal, and it won't necessarily start now. Target completion has shifted from "end of 2026" to "mid-2027," and we've updated our own modeled close date to match.
Spread nearly doubled. We checked. There's no new headline.
In a single week, IMXI's spread moved from ~27% to ~51% before settling back to ~42% -- a genuinely large swing by any measure. We checked directly for a new catalyst and found none. What's actually happening: DFPI's silence is now well past six weeks since the Aug 13 suspension, Intermex's own Q2 numbers were weak (revenue -17%, net income -75% YoY), and the Nov 10 hard outside date keeps getting closer. No single trigger -- just accumulating risk finally getting priced by a market that's stopped waiting patiently. Worth treating this as a real deterioration in the risk picture, not simply "the same story at a bigger discount."
Bloomberg reported that Talcott Financial Group, backed by Sixth Street, sent a private letter to Brighthouse's board last month reaffirming interest in acquiring the company if the current Aquarian deal falls through. This is the first concrete sign of a specific, credible alternative buyer circling, rather than generic deal-risk speculation. It cuts both ways: it confirms real market skepticism that Aquarian closes as-is, but also means a fallback outcome may exist if it doesn't. Aquarian still says it remains committed; the Delaware capital-source review, and Aquarian's own missed original deadline, remain the live, unresolved gate.
Shareholders approved the merger this week (133.3M votes for vs. 4.3M against, ~65.4% of outstanding) -- but the FTC issued a Second Request on Sept 14, extending the HSR waiting period until 30 days after both sides substantially comply. A precise ticking-fee mechanism is now confirmed too: if the deal hasn't closed by June 26, 2027, shareholders get an extra $0.007150/share for every day after that. Vote risk is fully resolved; what's left is a real, multi-front regulatory process given Caesars and Fertitta's Golden Nugget overlap in several gaming markets.
The Board kept the case alive. It did not say "yes."
The STB unanimously (4-0) denied summary-denial motions filed by BNSF, CSX, and a shipper coalition, who'd argued UP/NS hadn't even made a prima facie case. The Board was explicit this "does not reflect any determination on the merits" -- it just keeps the application alive to build a full record. One detail worth knowing: STB member Kloster joined the unanimous vote but separately criticized the competition-mitigation plan as thin. Confirmed calendar: opening comments due Nov 18, 2026; responses due Feb 16, 2027; record likely closes after May 28, 2027, with a decision due 90 days after -- consistent with the 2H 2027 target, not "soon."
Turns out hot dogs aren't a national security risk
CFIUS clearance is now confirmed directly via Nathan's own DEFM14A: obtained September 17. Stock jumped ~8% the following Friday on the news, and the spread has compressed to just 0.4% -- about as close to "priced for done" as this tracker gets. The special meeting is set for Oct 23; with CFIUS now off the table, that vote is the last real step before this one closes.
Paramount settled with the 12-state AG coalition and the WGA on Sept 21 -- a real, substantive five-year consent decree (30 films/year, an extra $300M/year in US production spend, an independent CNN/CBS editorial board, and penalties including potential Miramax divestiture for non-compliance). But at a Sept 24 hearing, the judge explicitly declined to approve it, telling both sides "the court is not a rubber stamp of your agreement," and deferred her ruling to come "in due course" -- no timeline given. A "Block the Merger" coalition got emergency approval to formally object, arguing the decree is "weak and unenforceable"; Senator Cory Booker separately pushed for independent review, and the parties owe the court a response by Sept 28. Both CEOs have floated "early October" as a hopeful close target, but that depends entirely on a ruling that hasn't happened. The $7M/day ticking fee starts Oct 1 regardless. Settled, not approved; approved, not closed -- worth more caution than a near-zero spread implies.
$IRDM — shareholders approved the Rocket Lab merger, 99.6% of votes cast, 81.0% of outstanding shares. Financing fully locked in (bridge facility retired, $1.94B ATM closed). FCC comment period runs through Nov 9.
$UNF — Bernstein cut market-implied approval odds from ~85% to ~70%, citing "expansive" FTC civil investigative demands to third parties. Now sees early 2027 as more likely, versus Cintas's own continued H2 2026 guidance.
Added this week: $MGLD — Madison Dearborn Partners to acquire The Marygold Companies, $2.00 cash (~$74.7M, 100% premium).
Binary Events on the Calendar
Nov 8 (est.) — $ZIM full legal framework due. 45 days from the Sept 24 submission.
Nov 10 — $IMXI hard outside date.
Oct 19 — $PERF EGM. Insiders control the vote.
Oct 22 — $WEAV shareholder vote.
Oct 23 — $NATH special meeting.
Nov 18 — $NSC opening comments due at the STB.
Top 6 by Spread — September 27, 2026
Ticker
Deal
Spread
Key Risk
$IMXI
Western Union / Intermex
42.2%
DFPI silent 6+ weeks; real deterioration, not just discount
$BHF
Aquarian / Brighthouse
31.5%
Missed deadline; credible backup bidder now confirmed
$ZIM
Hapag-Lloyd / ZIM
19.9%
Real concessions offered; ZIM's own workers still oppose
$UNF
Cintas / UniFirst
19.4%
Analyst odds cut to ~70%; early 2027 vs. H2 2026 guidance
$NSC
Union Pacific / Norfolk Southern
15.9%
Case survived, not approved; STB review into 2027
$GSAT
Amazon / Globalstar
8.6%
FCC and satellite-milestone conditions remain
Top 6 by Risk-Adjusted Expected Return
#
Ticker
Why
Gross Spread
Annualized
#1
$CCO
Cleanest deal-specific risk profile tracked — vote and HSR done, CFIUS the only remaining gate.
3.0%
~361%
#2
$PERF
Insiders control the vote outright; EGM now formally scheduled for Oct 19.
5.3%
~20%
#3
$UNF
Vote fully resolved (99%+); FTC Second Request is the one remaining risk factor.
19.4%
~38%
#4
$IMXI
Highest raw annualized in the group, but risk has genuinely worsened this week, not just widened.
42.2%
~350%
#5
$BHF
Second-highest; real story now (missed deadline, confirmed backup bidder).
31.5%
~164%
#6
$TYFG
Simple, clean small-bank merger with no unusual structure.
3.8%
~15%
Annualized figures use ArbLens's modeled expected close, not a deal's outside date or next catalyst, and aren't probability-weighted. $WBD and $IRDM both drop out this week -- WBD's spread has collapsed to near zero, and IRDM's vote resolved cleanly but its annualized return compressed given the mid-2027 close still nine months out.
If you find ArbLens useful, consider sharing it with at least one person who might benefit — a fellow investor, analyst, or anyone who follows M&A. It’s free, and word of mouth is how this community grows. arblens.com
Real-time deal alerts, spread movements, and analysis as they happen — follow @ArbLens between issues.
Get weekly merger arb insights delivered to your inbox — spreads, regulatory updates, and what to watch next.
For informational purposes only. Nothing here constitutes investment advice. Merger arbitrage involves significant risk including deal failure and loss of capital. Data sourced from public filings and third-party sources. Spreads shown are as of September 27, 2026 and update nightly on arblens.com.